FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Are you a resident or have a business interest on South Division Avenue?
We will need you to join our mailing list so we can involve you. We will also host chats and meetings (virtually or with social distance) to give you a chance to share your feedback.
Why is The Rapid involved?
The Rapid has an interest in growing jobs and housing in areas well-served by the bus. South Division Avenue is one of those locations. Goals and eventual results go way beyond public transportation to make sure we are creating a safe and connected place. With safety and strong connections, we hope that neighborhoods and businesses thrive.
What does the project involve?
Besides data, the project has an engagement team working in the community. The team will talk to neighbors, businesses, and other interested parties to make sure final project recommendations match the community’s wants and needs.
What will the end result be?
We can’t promise that displacement won’t happen. We cannot promise that we have acceptable growth. We can promise a robust set of tools, such as policies and programs, that each community can put in place in their own way to reflect the community’s vision.
How long will the project last?
The project is taking place over the course of a year and involves the collection of a variety of data to identify opportunities and shape policy recommendations for Grand Rapids, Kentwood, and Wyoming. The project began in December of 2019. It will end in early 2021.
The project is a partnership between Grand Rapids, Kentwood, Wyoming, and The Rapid, and is being led by a diverse steering committee that represents neighbors, businesses, and other important local organizations.
How will we do this?
We will bring the communities along South Division together to create a shared vision by:
- Focusing on local voices and public input to make sure economic development doesn’t displace existing businesses and residents with robust policies and programs.
- Building on current and previous community planning efforts to align tools and strategies to put in place what neighbors, businesses, and visitors would like to see on South Division.
- Working with developers and policymakers to create opportunities for new businesses, housing, and other conveniences to make Division a more attractive place to live, work, and play.
What is the purpose of Division United?
The purpose is to plan and suggest projects that will grow economic opportunity. We also hope to encourage investment along Division Avenue from downtown Grand Rapids to 60th Street.
- For business-owners, this can mean more customers and exposure for your industry
- For residents, this can mean more access to shops and jobs
- For people wanting to invest in new development, this can mean quicker and easier permitting
- And for anyone interested in healthy communities, this can mean more places to walk, bike and relax.